Monday, May 2, 2011

Positive

My April 19 flow cytometry showed hairy cells again — 0.15% of my white blood cells, to be exact.

I would've been surprised if the flow had stayed negative, so this is expected. It means that I'll probably need to start rituxan after my 6-month followup visit to NIH on May 11. Depends on the results of the flow cytometry they do that day, plus the results of the bone marrow biopsy (I hate those...)

Not too worried about it. I've arranged to have all the treatments here at UM, so it won't be so stressful.  According to Dr. K, the side effect levels are directly related to the disease burden, so I should have very few and it shouldn't have much effect on my everyday life.

Had a pneumonia scare a few weeks ago, but it turned out to be only a bad cold and bronchitis that hung on for a while. All gone now except an occasional cough. Feeling pretty good, especally now that spring is here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Paul,
I was just checking on your health. I'm sorry the hairy cells are back. Thinking of you . . .
Gina Giannini

Unknown said...

Hi Paul,
I was just checking on your health. I'm sorry the hairy cells are back. Thinking of you . . .
Gina Giannini