Monday, November 26, 2007

Standoff

Almost half of HCL patients experience a relapse at some point. As one study put it, "the relapse-free survival curve does not appear to reach a plateau." In other words, even if I'm clear for 10 years, it can still come back. I'll need tests every 6-12 months for the rest of my life.

Since 2-CdA almost certainly does not eradicate the disease completely in any patient, why do 50 percent never relapse? Many, especially those diagnosed at later ages than mine, die of something else first. This could be anything, but my risk of a second cancer — of some other type — is now 6-7x greater, probably because of the disease itself rather than the treatment. (My absolute risk remains low, however.)

Still, a large proportion of patients never relapse, even though some small amount of the disease likely remains in their bodies. Nobody knows why. Somehow their bodies keep the disease in check, even though it once grew out of control. It's a stand-off.

So. What can I do? Exercise. Avoid radiation, benzene, pesticides, tobacco, mononucleosis: all things I was going to do anyway. I'll start refusing some routine dental X-rays. (Not all; my teeth are too bad not to check up on them once in a while.) Drink coffee and alcohol, in moderation. Don't get too stressed.

Stay happy. Give. Love.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Wow, this is a well-written and inspiring blog. I may spend the rest of the evening reading it. I would only have to be Leukemia patient to want to read all of this. I have a ALL and my treatment has been mostly in the hospital.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a wife so I understand how hard it was to not play with your child when your counts were down. Your story is similar to mine. I had to stop working as an Instructor of Digital Design last year when diagnosed.

I learned a lot from your blog. Your humor was very uplifting after doing a bunch of research about the chemo I was given this time. Keep it up.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a wife so your story is similar to mine. I had to stop working as an Instructor of Digital Design last year when diagnosed.

Tony Daugherty - Maryland

Paul N. Edwards said...

Thanks Tony. I wish you, and your family, the best of luck with your ALL. The treatments get better all the time, so hang in there. - Paul